The internet is a dynamic domain, a lot of SEO companies and SEO consultants know that there are changes happening in the world of search, one example of such change are the constant algorithm update by the different search engine companies. These constant updates are geared towards improving the search engine results page it is because of this that search engine optimisation strategies must also change or adapt to the changing algorithm. However, it is not only the algorithm that is being constantly upgraded, there are other internet technologies that are also being improved, like the improvements done on a web browser, you might have already noticed that there are several updates made available for your web browser several versions have already overwritten the previous or original installed version. In order to conform with the changing times, the W3C also have incorporated its own change specifically in the lingua franca of the internet, the Hypertext Markup Language. The new version of HTML is now in version 5, from its simple beginnings HTML evolved to be the standard language for the web and this language has gone several changes or updates already and now it is in version 5. Tying up all these changes the question is can HTML 5 have an effect in search engine optimisation?
The Possible Effects of HTML5 with SEO
Of course many SEO companies and SEO consultants would like to know if there would be effects in terms of ranking if HTML 5 is used. The answer is yes and these are the following:
1. HTML 5 has its own Flash-like animation capabilities without actually using Flash, which means that the animations embedded using HTML5 will be crawlable by the search engine spiders unlike when a website is built entirely out of Flash.
2. HTML 5 was designed with mobile devices in mind, thus HTML5 makes it’s the language of choice when developing websites for all platforms which means that if you are trying to capture both your desktop and mobile audience HTML 5 is the way to go.
3. Content category is easily identified using the article and section element, now you can highlight your article in every page which makes it easier for web crawlers navigate through your website and making it easier for search engine spiders to gather data about your website, provided proper link building and content development is applied.
4. Search engines can easily identify your footer and header because of the fact that HTML5 resembles PHP like codes which means that footer and header could be properly defined.
5. Highlight your navigation by using the nav element. The nav element makes your navigation bar or collection of links to be easily seen by the search engine spiders, thus if the navigation bars are easily seen by the search engine spiders can easily navigate your site.
6. The structure of HTML 5 is similar to XML thus the website created through HTML5 is SEO friendly.
Since HTML 5 is going to be geared as the standard language of choice for website development it follows that search engine algorithms will also put emphasis on the SEO-friendly features of the Hyperlink Markup Language version 5.