Posted by: SEO Positive
Posted on: November 29, 2010 11:55 am
All developers have to transfer sites at some point, if you don’t I envy you. It seems that site transfers always have teething issues with the difference in server builds, operating systems having different compilations of PHP and the rest.
And worst of all, different hosts limitations…
But to transfer a site you need to make a simple list of things that need to be done in order for it to work.
- Get all files, including hidden files (many a time I’ve been caught up on the .htaccess on a mac being hidden and a site riddled with 404 errors…)
- Get all database details of the new server
- Update all calls to databases
- Use Dream Weaver (for the only things its any good for) to search and replace across the site for the old URL and change it to the new one, and the same with database details)
- Upload everything, including creating the new databases
- Test everything, fix bugs and teething issues
If you can do all of the above your site will transfer easy peasy.