Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: November 12, 2012 9:27 am
Google just recently updated Page ranking for all websites and of course many SEO Companies were happy to see their rankings go up and some are actually sad because their rankings went down. On another note there are some who would not care about page ranks and would rather focus more on their SERP or otherwise known as the search engine results page ranking. This therefore started the debate on what is really important increasing Google’s page rank for your website? Or climbing up the rankings for the search engine results page?
What is Page Rank?
Page rank is a patented ranking system from Google, developed by its founder Larry Page, this focuses on evaluating the value of a webpage based on its relevance and authority. The page rank basically ranks websites from zero to ten where ten is the highest value. The page rank of a website relies heavily on the following factors:
1. Link Quality – a website must link to your website in order to gain a page rank but with Google Penguin algorithm there is already a strict requirement that the link going to your website should be of high quality, which means it must be relevant and it must also be an authority site thus the higher the page rank of the site linking to you the better.
2. Structure of the Website – your website must also be structured in a way that it is easily crawled and that the links within your site are connected based on relevance. Every page in your website must be linked properly with each other and no web page in your website must stand alone.
What is SERP
The Search engine results page ranking on the other hand is focused on the ranking of your website on the search result page based on the keyword that you have chosen to optimise your site. As for Google and other search engines the SERP depends on a lot of different factors. For Google specifically, there are said to be more than two hundred ranking factors and every algorithm introduced by Google seeks to refine their ranking of the websites in the SERP. Among the ranking signals or factors for Google is said to be the site’s page rank, site structure, content development quality, loading time and even social media signals such as the plus one from Google Plus.
So which is More Important?
Focusing on your sites’ SERP does give you the advantage of having to drive traffic to your site based on the rankings you have. If you are able to reach rank one on page one of Google for a very difficult keyword then you have a huge advantage of getting traffic, where as we know traffic also equates to your websites’ possible revenue. As for page rank we believe that this is a strong ranking factor which means that in order to push your site further up the SERP ranking for Google it would be necessary to also increase your websites’ page rank, however SERP should be of your primary concern and if you do that you would automatically put your Page Rank into one of your sub-priorities.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: September 29, 2012 3:33 pm
With Google’s changing algorithm and its constant release of updates for Panda and Penguin algorithms it has been noticed by SEO Companies that these are indications that Google’s previous project, the Agent Rank is now ripe to be implemented. Agent ranking or which is now called the Authority Ranking is a process that recognises the authority or the reputation of the content creator and utilises it to influence search engine rankings. How does the search engine determine the authority of the content creator? This is by grading the verified content of the author and by that “grade” reputation of the same author is determined. The author rank focuses on the reputation of the author based on the contents that he or she has written.
Preparing for the incorporation of the Author Rank in Google’s algorithm will give you the edge as indications are already showing that Author Ranking is about to be integrated by Google in their search engine algorithm. So how does one prepare for the Author Ranking?
These are some information on what may possibly be the signals for increasing Authority Rank
1. Your Average Page Rank – Authority ranking will not replace page ranking, rather it will compliment it, and therefore you should keep a high average page rank in order to increase your authority as the author for your website. Of course this interaction between the authority rank and page rank is not a one way street instead their action is two-way, complimenting each other.
2. Social Media Interaction through Google Plus – of course for Google, the use of Google plus in terms of social media marketing and promotion of the website is very important. You can integrate your Google Plus profile page with your website in order show your audience your social media engagement. However, it is not enough that you have a social media page integrated with your website it is also very important that you actually post, reply, comment or share your blog posts to your followers to encourage more discussions within the social media network.
3. Number of Shares and +1’s – Google’s +1 is similar to Facebook’s like, it has been noticed that every time a significant number of plus one’s or shares via Google plus is met. These two social sharing buttons from Google is definitely one of the factors which may affect your authority Ranking
Of course there are a lot of other ways on how you are able to discern which signals you may have to focus on in you want to increase your authority ranking. There may be other ways on how to increase authority ranking and these of course would be revealed in due time.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 29, 2012 10:42 am
Bloggers have been around ever since people have started bringing their journals online, originally known as a web log, this type of online journal have already evolved into becoming more than a personal site. Blogging in 2012 is considered as both as professional and personal news, anyone who maintains a blog is called a blogger. Bloggers provides information through their blogs depending on the niche that they have chosen or have focused on. Usually, bloggers chose a niche that is within their expertise thus indirectly making them an authority in the said niche.
Blogging and SEO
Normally, bloggers gain their traffic from the number of readers and followers, they do not actually focus much on SEO, however we do not discount the fact that bloggers implements SEO methods. However, more than SEO copywriting, bloggers focuses on the quality of their content, they are focused more on getting the message across through their articles.
The Panda and Penguin Effect
When Google changed their algorithms to ensure quality content and links, numerous problems arose, link building methods and content development methods that produce low quality content and links have been rendered useless by the two algorithm changes. Google focuses on quality content to clean out its search engine results page of any low quality and irrelevant sites. Where does blogging comes in? There are times when bloggers are unable to update their blog sites on a regular basis and by doing this many readers may not be able to get the freshest news about their niche. This is why blog sites especially those that have already established their foothold in their chosen niche requires help from other writers, thus allowing writers to go guest blogs.
What is Guest Blog?
Guest blog is primarily a written work posted on a blog site that is written by another person other than the blogger or site owner. Blog sites that usually encourage guest blog posts have usually sets a high standard in order to allow articles to be posted in their blog. One of the criteria is that the article should not be previously posted in other sites, and should be your original work. Another is that it should be written with the highest quality where the topic is focused on the blogs niche. In short, guest blog posts should be of the highest quality. In exchange you can place a backlink or two pointing to your own website. Since the blog sites are high quality sites, you can be assured that the link you will be getting is of the highest quality.
Guest blogging is one way to gain quality backlinks, however, before writing a guest blog post you have to still discern whether the blog site you are guest posting on is of high quality. This can be done by checking their page rank as well as the sites content and links on whether or not its backlinks are taken from link farms or other low quality sites. This means that not all blog sites are of high quality, low quality blogs are those created only for advertising and link building purposes.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 16, 2012 3:30 pm
Everybody knows that Google and other search engines’ algorithms are their highly guarded secret. Of course this is to prevent people from gaining knowledge about their algorithm and to subsequently abuse such in order to make a website rank higher in the search engines’ result page ranking. However, from time to time SEO companies learn from the engineers of search engine companies on what they consider as ranking signals or what might search engine optimisation professionals should expect in the coming algorithm changes.
Who is Matt Cutts?
Matt Cutts is the head of the Webspam Team at Google and he has stepped on the spotlight being one of Google’s ambassador to Search engine optimisation professionals explaining Google’s side on things regarding search. Recently, Matt Cutts gave a keynote in Day 2 of the SES in San Francisco and he was able to share some insights regarding Google’s search algorithm and about Google’s stand on SEO.
Insights from Matt Cutts
Matt emphasised Google’s goal of giving accurate and relevant data back to the search engine user based on the keywords entered. This is why several algorithm changes such as Panda and Penguin have been implemented. When asked if links will slowly be phased out as a ranking factor for Google, Matt assured that links will not be ignored when processing rankings for the search engine results page.
Social Media as Ranking Signals
According to a lot of SEO consultants social media have become a significant ranking signal for Google, this may be true however there are several other truths that was revealed. Google does not have the ability to fully crawl Facebook as users are able to change their privacy settings. Twitter on the other hand is also uncrawlable by Google, which means the number of followers or tweets could not be accurately measure to make it a ranking factor. However, nothing was said about Google’s own social media platform, G+. We can therefore speculate that Google may be utilising G+ posts, followers, circles among others as social signals that may influence search rankings of your website.
Google Hating SEO
Time and time again the question whether Google hates SEO is being put in the spotlight, maybe because of the algorithm updates that tends to target the creative works of some SEO consultants. It was made clear by Matt Cutts that Google does not hate SEO. In fact SEO is helping Google achieve the goals of their search engine and that is to deliver accurate and relevant results, the goal of SEO is to optimise sites in order for them to be easily crawled by search engine spiders and to increase their speed loading time for better user experience and of course to incorporate quality and informative content for the users or visitors. The only time Google would have an issue with SEO is when black hat methods are implemented like making comment spam links, creating spammy links from link farms, incorporating low quality content, buying links and even stuffing content with keywords.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 14, 2012 2:29 pm
It was made clear that Google among other search engines would like to give the best user experience for every website visitor. This is why page loading speed was believed to have been included by search engines as a ranking factor. Page speed was considered as a ranking factor not for purposes of favoring certain websites but to actually help people gain the best user experience on a website by “forcing” website owners to increase their websites’ page loading time. In fact one of the obvious goals of search engines is to give their users a list of quality websites that are relevant to their search term queries.
What SEO Companies Can Do?
The question that may be lingering into your mind would be what SEO Companies or SEO Consultants should do in order to make a website load faster? The following are some tips on how you can reduce your websites’ loading time.
1. Optimise your Images – this does not necessarily mean that you have to use keywords on the alt attribute of your image, what it means is that you have to reduce the file size of your images in order to make it lighter for your website to load. Use Joint Photographic Experts Group format or JPEG as your image file type, Photographic Network Group or PNG format is also a good type of file format for a website. Do not use images that are of very high resolution, optimise your images for screens thus you can compress your image quality according to the JPEG compression format since you do not really need all those megapixels.
2. Ask your Host Server to Enable Keep Alive – by default hosting companies are turning the Keep Alive feature off, contact your host server to enable this feature since this will help you reduce latency request time, thus allowing you to load your website faster.
3. Compress Data using Gzip – Gzip compression helps in reducing the HTTP response size which in turn increases the ability of the of your site to load faster, since the response time is also reduced.
4. When Possible Use a CDN – CDN means content delivery network, what it does is that it contains your website data across different networks in order to efficiently deliver your website to your site visitors. The parameter for using delivering the content is the proximity of the location of a certain network to the user accessing your website.
Conclusion on Page Speed and SEO
Indeed technical part of search engine optimisation is now imperative because of the page speed requirement of the search engines. Thus, it is a good idea for SEO Companies and SEO Consultants to also audit their website speed in order determine how they could increase the websites’ page speed for better user experience.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 9, 2012 4:38 pm
An alternative to getting a high rank or a page one ranking in a search engine results page ranking is via advertising. One advertising method that is commonly done via the internet is through the pay-per-click method or commonly known as PPC. Pay-per-click method of advertising can either make or break your business. This is how fragile and how risky it is to conduct a pay-per-click campaign. We have heard of stories of people who became successful with their online business by promoting it via PPC, sadly however, we also have heard of those who lost their business through PPC because of the fact that their campaign was mismanaged. So if you have decided to conduct PPC you can still do it on your own or hire an SEO Company or SEO consultant to help you out. Either way you also have to learn more about the inner workings of PPC in order for you to better prepare yourself in handling your PPC campaign.
Things to Consider in PPC
The following are the things that you should consider if you want to conduct a PPC campaign for your website:
1. Consider Your Budget – unlike in Search Engine Optimisation, PPC Campaigns require money to run. You need to allocate specific budget to your bids on keywords that you want your site to rank for and be displayed on specific ad spaces.
2. Be Wary of Content Networks – if you would like to include your ad to be displayed on content networks it would be best if you would monitor this campaign separately, this is because of the fact that there are several spammy content networks that would give you a high number of clicks, which you have to pay for, but low number of conversions thus you would just be spending a lot of money for little or no return of investment.
3. Identify Your Target – if your product is specifically for a certain geo-location then it would not be wise to bid on a keyword that would cover the international market. This way you would only be spending for clicks that are truly targeted to your locality of choice.
4. Use the Right Keyword – relevance is the key when you choose the keyword you are going to bid on. Make sure that the keywords you will be bidding on is directly relevant to the services, products or items that your site is providing or selling. This way you can only have targeted visitors who are really interested on what you are offering making them the visitors where you can get the highest possibility of conversion.
Notes on PPC Account Audit
If you are unsure on how Pay Per Click works but have been motivated by the different success stories of those who have used such method, then do not fret. You only have to hire the best PPC Specialists who can conduct PPC campaigns and PPC Account Audits to make sure that you are on track with your campaign and that you are gaining more than you are spending in advertising.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 8, 2012 4:12 pm
If you are one of those skeptics about the power of the internet in delivering fast information worldwide then this article might not be for you. Not that we are discouraging you from reading on but rather we would want you to read through this article and learn a thing or two. Many SEO companies and SEO consultants have added in their list of offered services a service called online reputation management. Many would ask what is online reputation management? Well basically this is a service which involves processes such as managing a company or a persons’ social media account. No we do not downplay the technology quotient of such companies or persons requiring such service, you may be thinking that they might not have enough knowledge in technology in order for them to properly manage their social media account. Management of social media account is just one part of online reputation management.
Areas of Online Reputation Management
Aside from managing the social media account of a person or a company, online reputation management is also focused on providing the following:
1. Conducting Press Release for the Company or Person.
2. Respond to clients or comments made via the social media platform.
3. Increase positive reviews on different review sites.
4. Plan out How to Handle Social Media Crises for the company or person.
Who Needs Online Reputation Management?
Online reputation management is definitely a service applicable for everybody. However, many of those who needs such service are sometimes acquiring such service only when there were damages done to their company’s online reputation. Contrary to what people think about online reputation management, it is a service that should be acquired once your company or personality or business has gone online. The following are the different entities which we think would require online reputation management.
1. Small, Medium and Large Enterprises which brought their business online – one must understand that if a company has already taken their business online they will definitely increase their potential ROI but would also increase the risk of being given negative comments online.
2. Celebrities – celebrities have a high social media following and obviously due to their busy schedule they cannot regularly reply in their social media platform of choice, most of the time delayed response in social media is as good as no response at all, so it would be best to leave it to someone who can monitor comments in their social media platform of choice.
3. Political Personalities – political personalities like the members of the parliament who have created their online presence are the same with that of celebrities where they have the potential to get lots of social media follows, less time to manage their accounts but would require to regularly respond. However, the difference is that they are compelled to reply since they are answerable to their constituents.
4. Other Professionals with High Social Media Following – a high social media following would be tantamount to your popularity, so every professional with such high social media followers also needs online reputation management since whatever they post in their status or in their social media account would be publicly seen by his or her followers, to make sure that their online reputation is kept properly professionals offering online reputation management must be acquired.
Conclusion on Online Reputation Management
So do you need online reputation management? The general rule of thumb is that it depends on your purpose for opening an account in a social media platform, usually, social media accounts created for personal use and allows interactions only for family members and close relatives do not require any online reputation management. For those who utilises social media for business and to interact with a lot of people such as clients, fans and constituents then online reputation management is for you.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 6, 2012 3:03 pm
According to the recent study there are more Android devices that are being manufactured rather than the number of babies. We of course could not verify if the data is absolutely true but one thing is for sure, mobile devices are here and they are going to stay. Mobile devices are said to be increasing in number in terms of sales, with the emergence of new smartphones as well as new tablets one can really fathom the increase in mobile device use for browsing the internet. Soon enough full scale transaction via mobile applications will follow if not already started. For every SEO company and SEO consultant they know that this is an opportunity for them to increase website sales by way of conducting Mobile SEO in their website.
What is Mobile SEO?
Although mobile SEO is practically the same as that of the current search engine optimisation, like building links and developing contents they are only different in such a manner that mobile SEO focuses more on improving user experience for mobile devices. Although links and content development are considered by many as the cornerstone of search engine optimisation, mobile SEO tends to focus more in improving user experience which means that ranking factors would weigh heavily on how user experience is improved. This is a challenge to many SEO companies and SEO consultants because this way they have to make sure that their websites do not only show properly in desktops and laptops but rather it should display properly across the various screen sizes of mobile devices.
Things to Do For Mobile SEO
The following are some tips which you can do in order to improve user experience and conduct proper mobile SEO as well:
1. Develop For Fast Loading Time – one of the ranking factors not only for mobile SEO but also for the usual SEO is the fact that your website must load faster. Since you are designing your website for mobile you have to make sure that your site loads fast where you do not have to keep your visitors waiting, because a slow loading time will just make your visitors to easily click away from your website.
2. Simple Navigation is Important – navigating a website using mobile devices is difficult especially if there are several sub-links in every link in your menu bar, sometimes these sub-links are not displayed properly, in order to avoid this problem make sure that you design your site according to simplicity when I come to your website navigation. Simple navigation would increase site performance, speed and usability.
3. Make your Site Thumb Friendly – navigation must be compatible with touch technology, many users tends to get annoyed whenever they miss clicking the link they want to click because of a small user interface in the website. Make sure your links are large enough to accommodate touch functionality.
4. Make your site Visible – since there are various screen sizes for every mobile device it is important that you design your site in such a manner that the site is going to be displayed properly on every screen, that is every text and images are clear and readable for the user.
With the increase in the number of people using Android Smartphones it is clear that you have to make sure that your website will be displayed across all mobile platforms. Mobile is the future and it is actually happening now.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 3, 2012 11:26 pm
Ever Since the Panda Algorithm was released Google have been emphasising the importance of great content. Google have been saying that everybody must create great contents for their website otherwise they will find their website at the other end of a Panda-slap. Ok so the question really is how does one decipher the qualities of a great content? Is it through the language used? Is it through the topic of choice? or is it through the correctness of the website grammar and spelling?
Great content according to Google is something that may fit the following criteria:
1. Created with the User in Mind – Google have been emphasising that when creating content you have to put the user in mind. Create content according to what your users need, make sure that your content will be meaningful and would cover all the bases in terms of the tips that you would like to impart. Do not spread the information in your content too thinly, quality and informative content is a must whether it is a text, video or audio content.
2. Original and Unique – when conducting article writing your contents should also focus on being the product of your creative mind and not just copied from another resource. Remember plagiarism is a crime and it is an act frowned upon by Google. Be creative and do not copy your site’s content.
3. Offer Value – your content must offer some sort of a value for your website visitors, make your content to be something that people visiting your site would want to “consume”.
4. Refrain From Posting Too Many Ads – of course this may not be directly related with content development but what we are trying to say is to make sure that your site content is the focus on every page and do not divert the attention of the visitors by placing too many ads on every page.
Conclusion on Content
For SEO Companies and SEO consultants one thing is clear with what Google is trying to impart, that is, content is king only when developed according to what the users want, or when developed with the user in mind, valuable information is gold so make sure that your content will inform people properly.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: July 26, 2012 9:50 am
If you have noticed a lot of websites even e-commerce websites have already installed an additional page in their site and this is a blog page. You might speculate that this is installed to satisfy the whims of the website owner, just because the owner loves to blog and would love his or her ideas to be published. Well, those speculations may be true but not really the main reason for all webmasters for incorporating blogs to their website.
The Reason For Blog Writing
In an artistic and maybe psychological point of view people blog because of the fact that they want to share their ideas and would like people to see and appreciate such ideas. In a search engine optimisation perspective however, this is not the case. Blogging in the point of view of SEO companies and SEO Consultants is one of the ways for them to be able to increase their visibility online. How is this possible? This is because of the fact that Google search engine have incorporated the Google Panda Algorithm which requires every website to be ranked to have high quality content and where such content are always unique and fresh.
Google loves website that delivers quality, constantly updated and informative content, this is because of the fact that it will conform to what Google and other search engine wants that is to deliver high quality and relevant search engine results page to its users.
Other Reasons For Blogging
Of course more than search engine optimisation we look at blogging as a form of connecting with your site visitors as well as connecting with your potential and existing clients. Blogging can be a form for you to impart tips and techniques that may be useful to your clients relevant to the products and services that you company is offering.
Blog Writing has definitely expanded from just being a weblog into something useful for the online business. Blogs helps to inform and engage users in your website and when the right call to action is added you may even get a potential lead or conversion.