Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 24, 2012 3:57 am
Time and again we have been mentioning the fact that whenever Google updates its algorithm many SEO companies would scramble to determine if their sites were hit. If indeed their websites were hit by the Google Algorithm change many would give up but some would find ways and means to recover their lost rankings. Why is it important to recover lost rankings? This is because it is where your revenue would eventually come from. Ranking in the first page top three of Google search engine results page in a keyword with high traffic would mean that your site is easily searchable and would rake in a lot of traffic and potential conversions.
What Penguin Algorithm Did?
When Google released the Penguin “into the wild”, the wildlife of the internet and search, it attacked websites that has utilised web spamming techniques in order to trick search engines into ranking their sites high up in the search engines results page rankings. Web spamming techniques such as keyword stuffing, link spamming and gaining tons of links from low quality websites are just some of the techniques that Google Penguin is tracking to gauge whether or not a site should be suspended or de-ranked.
How To Recover From the Penguin Algorithm
You may have noticed by now that some SEO consultants are sending emails to different low quality websites asking them to remove the link that was previously placed in their sites. Not to get ahead of ourselves here are the different steps that you can take in order to recover from penguin algorithm update.
1. Trace Low Quality Links – go back to your link list and track the different websites linking to your own site. Determine if such site was built for linking or if it is a high quality website. Determine low-quality sites that linked to your website and build a contact list.
2. Ask to Remove the Links – initially you want those links in their website, otherwise you would not have ask them to place it there in the first place, ask the site owner politely via email or any other means to remove the link pointing to your website.
3. Trace Keyword Stuffing and improve content – not everything on Penguin is about low quality links, keyword use and abuse is also one of the things that Google Penguin is looking at. Go back to your content, have you used too much keywords? If so it may be time to reduce it. Keyword density matters but one thing you should understand is that you can even rank in your chosen keyword without minding keyword density in your content. There is no specific rule on what the desired keyword density but stuffing the content with keywords is definitely a red flag for Google Penguin.
4. Start a New Content and Link Campaign – After you have removed the poison links and have improved the quality of your content, it is now time to start a link building campaign and a content development campaign. This way you will be able to implement gathering high quality links and posting high quality content to your and in your website respectively.
5. Ask for Reconsideration – once you have implemented quality content and quality links you can ask Google for reconsideration through their reconsideration form provided via Google Webmasters tool.
It is of course understandable that implementing all of these steps may take a long period of time, especially if you do not have people who can work as fast as possible during the implementation phase. This is why hiring a great and well experienced SEO company will make sure that you will be able to get the results you need in a fraction of the time when you make your own recovery campaign.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 13, 2012 5:01 pm
Before you start listing down hardware supplies that would actually make your computers “animal-proof” no these tips is not designed to literally make your website impenetrable from any animal’s physical attacks. This actually pertains to giving you some insights on how you can make your website impenetrable against Google’s Panda, penguin and other algorithm change animals that my come out in the future. Google have been naming their algorithm updates based on animal species or common names and every algorithm update is said to be affecting a lot of websites in terms of their rankings in the search engine results page.
The Latest Updates
Before any SEO company and SEO consultant could provide protection on their sites against any algorithm update the SEO company or SEO Consultant must arm themselves with ample knowledge on what the algorithm update is all about.
1. Panda – the Google panda was developed in order to filter out the search engine results page by displaying websites with the highest quality of content. Thinly written contents as well as contents that are spinned, copied or duplicates are frowned upon by the algorithm and will actually penalise websites that will utilise such poorly written contents.
2. Penguin – the penguin on the other hand was developed in order to combat web spam. Some unscrupulous SEO companies or SEO consultants are utilising automated link building processes disregarding the quality of the link created and focusing on the link quantity. Creating massive links but are of poor quality is what the Penguin algorithm is penalising.
3. Pirate Penalty – well this is not actually an animal’s common name, but this is actually the up and coming algorithm change by Google in order to filter out contents that were proven to be infringing copyrights of others. This new algorithm will focus on penalising websites using contents such as videos, audios among others which were just copied from an original source without prior permission obtained. The basis of the penalty will be on the number of DMCA notices along with other parameters which Google refuses to divulge.
Protecting Your Website
From the three algorithm updates Google’s direction is clear, that is to provide quality content within the website that wishes to be ranked in their search engine results page and that the user should be of paramount consideration when developing content, links or the website in general.
For the Panda update developing high quality and informative content will assure you of a proper position within the search engine results page if not at least you will be sure that you site will not be penalised by Google. To combat the penguin algorithm you need to implement quality link building campaigns, that is you only build links from sites that are trusted and are in itself having a high page rank.
For the pirate penalty update, it only requires you to create your own content, never copy anyone else’s creative output. Should you copy such creative output be sure that you got the permission from the owner before you actually utilise such content in your website.
Whatever type of algorithm update may come from Google you can protect your site from being penalised by developing your website and its content for your visitors and not for you or for the search engine bots. Create original, quality and informative content that your visitors would love to share through social media networks.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 2, 2012 3:42 pm
It has been observed that whenever Google release a search engine algorithm update or change many SEO companies and SEO consultants have been reacting like the sky is falling. No, they do not react just because of a mere announcement but rather the reaction is because of the fact that their sites have been hit and might have been penalised and de-ranked by Google in its search engine results page ranking. If this happens what comes next is the decrease in traffic and worst the diminution of their revenue. Of course if your revenue goes from hundreds of pounds a day to zero then you would definitely shout that “the sky is falling”.
Panda and Penguin
Google Panda and Google Penguin is Google’s names to their latest algorithm update. Panda, as discussed in our previous blog article, is concerned with the quality of a content while Penguin is concerned with checking the quality of the backlinks that were created for link building purposes. One must understand that these two algorithms focused on checking or auditing the two cornerstones of SEO these are link building and content development.
SEO Techniques to Avoid Getting Hit
The principle of both Google Panda and Penguin is very easy this is to maintain quality in your SEO efforts especially in link building and content development. For Google Panda quality of the content is being put under its “microscope”. When we say quality your content must be well written in your chosen language or medium and that your content must be understandable and informative. For Penguin your backlinks must come from highly trusted sites and not just built for the sake of quantity.
Here are some additional techniques which you can do:
1. Analyze your Analytics – if you have connected your website to Google analytics then you will get fresh and helpful data regarding your website. Check whether your site visitors have a high bounce rate, if so this means that your website has a poor user experience. User experience is one of the factors that Google algorithm is looking at to make sure that every website provides quality information to the users and not focused only on developing a website for purposes of advertising without offering quality information for the users.
2. Start Blogging – included in the Panda algorithm is the Google Freshness algorithm where it makes the Google search engine “favor” websites with updated contents against static websites where content is not being updated daily. The only recourse possible in order to make sure that your website is being fed with fresh content is through blogging, incorporate a blog page to your website in order to integrate product updates and blog posts about your company or your locality.
3. Start Being Social – it has been observed that social signals are also being considered as a ranking signals, this means that the more social your site gets, that is more likes and more +1’s will also increase your search engine rankings. So start posting relevant and interesting posts on your social media platform of choice and engage your users the more they talk about your product and the more share you get the better your social signal is.