Posted by: Peter Andrease
Posted on: June 8, 2012 8:03 am
- Locate the FTP details of the website and download the entire contents of the current site through an FTP Program, e.g. Filezilla. This should include the wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes folders and all loose files in the root.
- Access the database of the site via the current hosts CPanel or phpMyAdmin and save a copy of the entire database. The Hosts CPanel may have an option to simply backup the database or if using phpMyAdmin go to the ‘Export’ tab, select ‘Quick’ export method in Format ‘SQL’ and just hit ‘GO’ to save to your computer.
- Now you have the full contents of your wordpress site, so on the new hosting you will need to create a new database. Again this would need to be done in your new hosts CPanel or hosting panel. When you create your new database make a note of the database name, username and password set.
- Once the database is created, you will need to add your downloaded database file. If using phpMyAdmin, select ‘Import’, browse for your database file and hit ‘GO’.
- Your database will now be in place, if you are transferring to a different domain name you will need to change the name in two locations on the database. So while in phpMyAdmin go to the wp_options table and the first row item should be ‘siteurl’, click ‘Edit’ and change this to your new domain name. Now go to Page 2 and near the top there will be a ‘home’ row with the site name in again, change this also.
- With your database ready you can now get the site in place. Go to your downloaded site and first open the wp-config.phpfile in the root and change the following in red to your new database settings:
define(‘DB_NAME’, DATABASE NAME);
The MySQL hostname should always be ‘localhost’, unless your new hosting has a specific host type.
- Now access the FTP of your new site and remove or backup any files currently there, then upload your entire site to the root.
- The website will now be in place so if you need to change nameservers or IPS Tag then you can do this now. Once any transfers are complete, your site will show in the new location, so test the site and subpages in a browser and you should be all done! If any problems occur during this process then contact the hosting company who would be able to provide specific details.