Posted by: Hannah
Posted on: October 19, 2012 9:19 am
SEO Positive understands the importance of optimising your content and ensuring you appear high on Google rankings. There are certain ways to increase the optimisation levels of your copy and this tutorial explores how.
- Add a Meta description – this part appears as a summary on Google rankings. It should be a snippet no more than 150 characters including spaces and should sell the website. It must contain some keywords and be concise and interesting.
- Make sure every Meta description is unique – every blog post should have a unique Meta description about what the certain post is about. This increases SEO presence and alerts Google to new and unique material, which the search engine favours.
- Add non follow links by customising Robot.txt files – for pages that may appear as duplicates non follow files should be added, this can include pages like printer friendly pages. Google can penalise for pages that seem the same and decrease your Google visibility.
- Add a sitemap – this displays each part of your site and can also alert Google to fresh content posted on your blog.
- Add custom error 404 pages – User errors such as typos or readers trying to change URL addresses manually rather than clicking on tabs can result in error pages occurring. If a unique and personal 404 error page is created it can be provide the user with a link to a page that does work and keep their presence on your website.
These simple and easily applied factors can optimise your web copy and increase your chance of appearing high on Google’s rankings. Blogs are also an effective way of achieving this and should be regularly updated and are a big commitment, so if you have spent lots of effort and time creating posts it only makes sense to ensure the possibility of them getting read.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 3, 2012 2:55 pm
Everyone in SEO recognises and understands the importance of blogging, but not everyone is pulling them off as well as they could. The way you write a blog post is as important, if not more important, than what your blog is about.
Here are a few pointers to help you construct the perfect blog post:
Headline: This is the first point of contact for your post; your headline should be attention grabbing as it will be seen and read substantially more than your article itself. If your headline fails to get people’s attention, it is unlikely that they will read your post.
Introduction: Nailing the intro usually sells the article. In general, people who read the first couple of sentences will continue to read the entire article. The intro is your ‘hook’ for the article and is what engages the reader’s attention, so it should briefly summarise the main point of your article.
Language: Most people tend to lower their professional tone (use colloquial language, slang) when writing blog posts as they think that the audience does not want to read a formal/professional blog post- this is not true, especially in SEO. You can talk in a professional tone but just make sure you provide a personal commentary in your post as it is a blog article after all. Also, using emotive language is important in a blog post as emotion shows passion and a human characteristic that is different from the other more rigid and formal articles you may write- emotive language also gains attention.
Text: Break it up. No one wants to read one big block of text or a series of standard paragraphs. Use bullet points, different text formatting (italics, bold), fact boxes, quotation boxes etc. If something looks more interesting, it will most likely interest the audience and make them want to read it.
Other information: At the end of your blog post, you should include a section dedicated to other resources relevant to your article. This can include other general advice, tips and links to further reading/research which will be useful to your blog’s audience.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: May 7, 2012 3:49 pm
Many SEO companies and SEO consultants knows that every algorithm change in the search engine might cause the de-ranking of their target website, what is worst is that when the site is actually lost the revenue goes with it. This is the reason why many SEO Companies and SEO consultants are looking for other sources for site traffic. One of the most popular alternative site traffic sources is the use of social media. With the popularity of Facebook and Twitter and its ability to make a post viral became the focus of such SEO companies and SEO consultants looking for alternative traffic sources for their website. However, similar to search engine optimisation, social media marketing also requires considerable amount of work. The nature of social media is to create a community and to produce interaction between and among the members of the community.
The Power of Social Media
The fact that social media allows you to interact with a lot of people and the accounts of such people are readily verified, meaning they are actual people and promoting products and services online to actual people is faster and cheaper and with a high success rate. After building a social media community around your brand or product you will be able to easily inform your members about any promotions or updates about your products and services. Not only that, information can easily be shared by anyone in the community to his or her list of friends.
Harnessing the Power of Social Media
Social media could only become an effective tool if used properly this is why it is important to take the following in consideration:
1. Spark conversations – most of the time members of your community are just lurking around your page, this is why it is important to start a conversation. Creating a spark of conversation can be done by giving your community something interesting to talk about however it should be factual and within your pages’ niche.
2. Engage Bloggers – bloggers are gaining popularity worldwide because of their skill in writing and their ability to engage their readers. Blogging is considered as the fourth media and it is considered as one of the most reliable form of information because it comes from the actual experience of the person writing about the product or services.
3. Factual Social Media Profile – you should be factual when creating your account in the social media network, this is because of the fact that you would like to show that you are promoting an honest business. Therefore, showing your actual photo would be one of the best way to start gaining the trust of your community members.
There is a need to look for other sources of traffic just in case your search engine optimisation methods would falter due to algorithm changes. One of the best alternative traffic source is social media as it allows you to build a community around your brand and engage your members regarding the different products and services that your business is offering.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: March 27, 2012 2:17 pm
With the recent Google Algorithm update a significant number of websites were once again affected, many of those who relied on private blog networks for link building purposes were hit and even the popular private blog network “Build My Rank” has announced that they will be shutting down due to the fact that their private blog networks or blog sites were de-indexed by Google thus offering no value in terms of link juice and link building in general. It is because of this fact that websites that were utilising the BMR services and other private blog networks were affected, de-ranked or got a significant drop in their ranking in Google’s search engine results page.
Why De-index Private Blog Networks?
Private blog networks were de-indexed because of the fact that every blog in this network accepts or posts articles that are thinly written. The private blog networks accept spinned articles because the main function of a private blog network is not for content development but rather for link building. Google was able to track this practice prompting them to update their algorithm.
Discern Private Blog Networks
There are times when one cannot discern what a private blog network is, and in order to prevent posting contents in these private blog networks by unsuspecting link builders then it is important to take into consideration the following characteristics of a blog network.
1. The contents are poorly written, the contents are gibberish and are not cohesive.
2. The site design is not given much attention, usually the default template is used.
3. There are various topics, the blog does not section or categorise every topic.
4. There are too many anchor text within the article.
How To Recover From The Google Effect?
If your site is one of those that were hit by the Google algorithm change due to your use of private blog network services the following could be the steps you can do in order to regain your ranking:
1. Trace the links you built using private blog networks and use all efforts in order for you to be able to delete such links.
2. If you were already penalised by Google make every effort to incorporate quality content in your website. After doing so, you have to submit a request for reconsideration with Google.
3. Build legitimate links and never resort to any black hat or automated link building methodologies.
4. Create a legitimate blog writing campaign.
With Google already catching up with lots of black hat SEO techniques many SEO companies and SEO consultants should begin to build their links the natural, organic or the white hat way.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: March 10, 2012 9:24 am
With the requirement from search engines on incorporating fresh content to websites in order to gain higher ranking, the incorporation of blogs in corporate sites has become a necessity. Blogs in corporate websites were seen as the solution to the problem on incorporating fresh content, this is why every website may it be a simple business website or an e-commerce site would require a blog, otherwise the website would just be an online flyer with static content. When writing your blog you have to divert from technical style of writing and adopt the magazine type of writing where true and honest reviews and opinions are important in promoting specific products and services. In writing a blog post there are several strategies that SEO companies and SEO consultants have to consider and these are:
1. Always Use Thought Provoking Titles – when creating your blog post make sure that you capture the attention of your readers at the first instance in order for your visitors to continue on reading on your blog post. This is why it is important to create thought provoking title for your blog posts.
2. Augment your Post with Multimedia – you can further explain your post by augmenting it with multimedia features like images, audio, video and flash animation. Apart from augmenting your post this will also help in the aesthetic value of your site as well as helping your readers in remembering your website.
3. Connect your web pages – if your blog post contains keywords that may be related to other pages in your site or to your other posts it would be best to link such keywords to those relevant pages and posts. This is to create a solid link structure in your site as well as to promote the other pages in your site via that blog post.
4. Move your Audience – since you are creating a corporate blog post it would also be best if you include texts that would move your audience to act. This is to promote your site’s products and services which would help you in generating leads and or conversion.
5. Make your Content Unique – although content is preferred by search engines it is important to know that the content that are being preferred by search engines should be unique and original content.
Looking at blogs as a personal weblog is long gone, with the evolution of the algorithm of search engines implying the need for fresh content blogs have evolved into an integral part of every website, this would just prove that search engines are actually giving importance to the content of the website, a matter that SEO consultants and SEO companies should focus in their SEO campaign.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: February 19, 2012 12:38 pm
With the need to incorporate fresh content into every website for the Search engines to recognise your website in terms of ranking. The incorporation of fresh content is especially being looked upon by Google because of their Panda Algorithm. Google Panda focuses on the quality of content in every website on top of that Google has also introduced Google freshness algorithm which focuses on the currency or freshness of the content incorporated in every website. Since freshness of content is also a ranking factor the need to incorporate new contents in your website on a regular basis is imperative. This incorporation of new content could only be achieved by creating a blog writing page for your website. Blogging allows you to incorporate fresh and informative content in your website thus satisfying the Google freshness ranking factor requirement. To make your blog page an effective ranking factor it should be able to acquire traffic and engage your potential audience, the following are some of the steps that SEO companies and SEO consultants are taking in order to increase traffic on their blog page.
- Develop Your Content To be Informative and Shareable – when writing your blog post think of topics that would give information to your readers, make your content to be valuable enough that people would look for such content. On top of that you should make your content to be worth sharing, remember; through social media your content could easily gain traffic through a share button.
- Blog Posts Should Be SEO Savvy – although you are writing a blog post where sometimes posts are opinionated, you should not forget that your goal is to gain traffic for your website, this is why it is still important to make your posts to be SEO-friendly, that is by incorporating as much as possible your targeted keywords.
- Use Social Media Networks to Share Your Blog Posts – social media networks such as Google +, Facebook and Twitters are great tools for your to gain traffic for your blog site, share every post in your blog via these social media networks in order to possibly gain more readers and that will help in increasing your blog traffic.
Blogs are becoming an essential part of every website, may it be a website for service or e-commerce fresh contents are actually required by search engines for your website to be ranked. To boost your ranking and traffic you should also focus your SEO and Social Media Strategies to your blog posts. Just remember that every blog posts must be unique and of high quality.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: February 17, 2012 2:42 pm
The recent update of Google focuses on the quality on both the content and the links that are directed to the target website. The first time that the Google Panda algorithm was first released many website were badly hit, wherein such websites were de-ranked, fell out of the top ranking and worst were banned and suspended. After thorough analysis it was found out that such sites that were affected by the Panda algorithm because of the fact that their contents were not original and were considered as duplication from an original article, furthermore, links were low in quality as it came from sites that do not exude quality and authority. With these developments a lot of SEO Companies and SEO consultants had to look for different ways in order to incorporate both quality content and links. One of the solution that may fuse both content and link quality is by conducting guest blog posts.
Guest blog posting is both a content development and link building method wherein a blogger would post his or her original blog post on a blog owned by another blogger. This is a win-win situation because of the fact that the blog owner can update his or her blog on a regular basis, considering writing blogs is a very tedious task, while the guest blogger can put a backlink to his or her own blog site or website.
The following are the other reasons why one should incorporate guest blogging in an SEO company’s SEO plan or campaign:
1. It helps in your Link Building Efforts – as what was already stated, one can incorporate links to the blog post and since the blog site is not owned by the SEO company or SEO consultant and is considered a third party chances are the links would be coming from different IP addresses, thus making it a unique link.
2. Guest Blog Posts increases Audience Reach – since you would be posting on a blog site other than yours there is a bigger chance that you would also tap into the traffic of that blog site and direct them to your site, this is why it is advisable to do guest blog posting on sites that are related to your own website.
3. You can strengthen your Social Media Presence – since you would be creating original and high quality content for your guest blog posts you can promote it within your social media network, you can share it, tweet it and bookmark it, this way you do not only promote your article but also the blog site to where you posted your article on.
Indeed guest blog posting is a fusion of quality content and quality links this is why it is advised that guest bloggers should always maintain a high quality standard in guest blogging in order for their article to be accepted and for you to reap all the benefits.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: January 6, 2012 2:46 pm
For bloggers using social media networks know as Google Plus, there is a way, it has been available for a few months, to claim an article as your own. Having authorship of an article has a few benefits.
What’s The Point?
The first and most obvious when seen is that your Google+ photo appears in search results. This is more of a vanity feature but it is a cool one and makes blogging a real form of writing. Very similar to a hard copy book In the way that the author is given a lot of credit for it.
Another benefit is that it makes all content written by an author easier to find, when you find the author icon on a search result then there will be a link for more by that author. So this makes finding content by a specific blogger easier than ever.
One of the biggest points is that it puts your name on your own articles, which means that the problem of having articles stolen is finally combatted. This problem will no doubt continue, but if someone is stealing an article, it is easy to prove who the content really belongs to, which will make it embarrassing to be proved wrong and that you are stealing articles.
How To Do It
Matt Cutts has made a few videos explaining how to add authorship to content and this can be found easily on Youtube. The simpler way is to add HTML code. I will show an example, for your reference “URL” would be the URL of your Google Plus profile. <a href=”URL”?rel=author> +You</a>. The text within the link can say whatever you want but its best to say +”your name” but it really isn’t essential.
According to the instructional videos, the next step is to share the article on your Google + profile, this seems simple enough and if you are an active Google + user you are most likely already doing this.
The benefits of having authorship are definitely worth the effort of inserting a small chunk of HTML code, and if you’re a heavy Google + user then the only thing you will have to do differently is add the HTML code which can be copied and pasted.
Written by + Lewis Austin
Posted by: SEO Positive
Posted on: December 14, 2011 9:46 am
Blogging is either for SEO or for the original reason of a blog which is writing for an audience. Regardless to what your reasons for writing are, it is important to come up with good quality, meaningful and useful content regularly. The real difficulty is maintaining a constant flow of content.
Brainstorming is one of the oldest methods around, get a few of your friends or colleagues together and have a discussion about ideas for articles. It is much easier to come up with these kinds of ideas in a group. If your group is having trouble coming up with ideas, have a look at other blogs that are similar, or maybe try Google searching a few of your keywords into the news sections.
Once you have a few topics in mind and written down, try and think of different angles that you could take for that article. For example PPC and why it is…: better for small business, a quicker result compared to SEO and so on. The more angles you can take on one topic, the more blog posts you can get, it must be said that extra care must be taken as you need to mix up the topics; it looks a bit repeated if you keep the same topic and take a different angle straight after the last article.
Having a brainstorm with colleagues is a great way to come up with ideas, not just for blogging but generally. This method is a good method to generate topics in bulk, which means that when you come to writing your next article, you have not got spend half an hour or so thinking of a topic as you have a huge list already.
Posted by: SEO Positive
Posted on: November 16, 2011 10:16 am
Blogs have always been crucial for search engine optimisation; there are a few factors of your writing that need to be spot on. The reason why a blog is essential for SEO is because it generates fresh and usually relevant content, and depending on how often the blog is updated, the more or less helpful it will be.
Updating Your Blog
Adding new articles to your blog can be very difficult, the actual writing part is one of the easiest steps, and it’s actually the topic of the article which can be the hardest to come up with. This isn’t a bad thing, it is just a case of writers block and everyone gets it from time to time. One way I have found to help inspire topic ideas for articles is by signing up to Google alerts for topics that I write about. Sometimes even this does not help because there are periods of time where nothing new is happening in your industry but something will eventually turn up. It is through the times where nothing “new” is happening which will prove to be some of the most difficult for writing, but when this happens it is the perfect time to write how to’s and the infamous top 5 things not to do articles. They may seem a little bit repeated, but if you are writing for SEO reasons, then the topic should not be of a huge concern anyway.
Adding keywords is something a lot of bloggers can struggle with but the correct keywords tend to pop into the article naturally. If you key word stuff your article, it will have a negative effect due to the black hatted techniques. Also the quality of the article will be severely poor.
As long as the topic you are blogging about is related to your industry, you will find the keywords do flow naturally, if for some reason the keywords are not in your article. Just go over the article and find a section where you can add them. One way of doing this is by adding an example where you mention your keywords.
Linking to the Right Page
Once you have keywords in your article, you then need to link to the right pages. Try and link exact keywords to the page you are optimising for them terms, also if you are on Google plus or any other social network, like Twitter, you can link build using your blog for key phrases like a company name, or a key term you want your profile to show up for.
Writing can prove to be difficult, and when that writing is affecting you SEO efforts, the pressure begins to mount up, but by baring a few things in mind, the problem of writers block can be avoided and your writing will begin to benefit your optimising efforts.