Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: August 3, 2012 2:55 pm
Everyone in SEO recognises and understands the importance of blogging, but not everyone is pulling them off as well as they could. The way you write a blog post is as important, if not more important, than what your blog is about.
Here are a few pointers to help you construct the perfect blog post:
Headline: This is the first point of contact for your post; your headline should be attention grabbing as it will be seen and read substantially more than your article itself. If your headline fails to get people’s attention, it is unlikely that they will read your post.
Introduction: Nailing the intro usually sells the article. In general, people who read the first couple of sentences will continue to read the entire article. The intro is your ‘hook’ for the article and is what engages the reader’s attention, so it should briefly summarise the main point of your article.
Language: Most people tend to lower their professional tone (use colloquial language, slang) when writing blog posts as they think that the audience does not want to read a formal/professional blog post- this is not true, especially in SEO. You can talk in a professional tone but just make sure you provide a personal commentary in your post as it is a blog article after all. Also, using emotive language is important in a blog post as emotion shows passion and a human characteristic that is different from the other more rigid and formal articles you may write- emotive language also gains attention.
Text: Break it up. No one wants to read one big block of text or a series of standard paragraphs. Use bullet points, different text formatting (italics, bold), fact boxes, quotation boxes etc. If something looks more interesting, it will most likely interest the audience and make them want to read it.
Other information: At the end of your blog post, you should include a section dedicated to other resources relevant to your article. This can include other general advice, tips and links to further reading/research which will be useful to your blog’s audience.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: July 26, 2012 9:50 am
If you have noticed a lot of websites even e-commerce websites have already installed an additional page in their site and this is a blog page. You might speculate that this is installed to satisfy the whims of the website owner, just because the owner loves to blog and would love his or her ideas to be published. Well, those speculations may be true but not really the main reason for all webmasters for incorporating blogs to their website.
The Reason For Blog Writing
In an artistic and maybe psychological point of view people blog because of the fact that they want to share their ideas and would like people to see and appreciate such ideas. In a search engine optimisation perspective however, this is not the case. Blogging in the point of view of SEO companies and SEO Consultants is one of the ways for them to be able to increase their visibility online. How is this possible? This is because of the fact that Google search engine have incorporated the Google Panda Algorithm which requires every website to be ranked to have high quality content and where such content are always unique and fresh.
Google loves website that delivers quality, constantly updated and informative content, this is because of the fact that it will conform to what Google and other search engine wants that is to deliver high quality and relevant search engine results page to its users.
Other Reasons For Blogging
Of course more than search engine optimisation we look at blogging as a form of connecting with your site visitors as well as connecting with your potential and existing clients. Blogging can be a form for you to impart tips and techniques that may be useful to your clients relevant to the products and services that you company is offering.
Blog Writing has definitely expanded from just being a weblog into something useful for the online business. Blogs helps to inform and engage users in your website and when the right call to action is added you may even get a potential lead or conversion.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: May 6, 2012 4:48 pm
If you have been following the trend in different websites you might have noticed that there is a lot of change on how a website is being designed and how it is being optimised. You might also have noticed that most of the websites nowadays especially those e-commerce websites have incorporated blog pages in their sites. What does it all mean? Why is there a blog page in an e-commerce website?
This is all because of the process called search engine optimisation. Search engines ranks websites according to how well optimised the websites it, of course it is no secret that websites that are found in the first page of Google Search engine results page ranking would have a higher share of traffic and of course a higher share of revenue. This is because of the fact that many search engine users feel that the website found in the first page of a search engines’ SERP is the most relevant site based on their keyword search and thus would be containing the information they need.
Why Incorporate Blog?
Google and the other search engines have gone through several updates in their search engine algorithm and one of those change for Google’s algorithm is Google freshness, where the algorithms would favor websites that continuously incorporate fresh content into their website. One of the goals of Google freshness is to make websites give value to their clients in terms of updated information. Further, Google wants to stop the development of static websites making them comparable to an online flyer or brochure. Fresh content being constantly incorporated in the website makes it dynamic thus information will not only remain to be stagnant. In addition to that blog writing can help increase the visibility of the keywords in your website as compared to only using the keywords in your standard content you can now maximise the use of the keywords in your content or blog page.
Blog writing is now an important part of search engine optimisation, the only thing that you have to remember when writing a blog is that your article should be unique and of high quality.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 25, 2012 2:12 pm
With the recent announcement of Google regarding the update in its algorithm whereby it is increasing its ability to combat web spam there is a need for SEO companies and SEO consultants to start rethinking their article writing and link building strategies. One of the web spam strategy that was highlighted by Google, which will be hit by the updated algorithm, is the use of some websites of poorly written content or those contents that were just copied and spinned. According to Google in their latest news on the search engine algorithm update, they will be de-ranking websites that harbor contents that are poorly written, although Google have already done this through the Panda update the latest algorithm update is an improvement of the previous updates.
What is Spinned Content?
Spinned contents are that content that was reproduced by using a software which changes words with its synonyms. What most SEO agents using spinned content is to get an original content and run it through the spinning software. It utilises a predetermined set of vocabulary to which it gets its replacement words from the original. Spinning software do not have the ability to discern the context to which the word is used instead it would just replace the words according to its synonym disregarding the context.
Identifying Spinned Content
Identifying spinned content is the same as identifying a poorly written content, the need to identify such contents is imperative especially if contents are outsourced, the following are some ways on how you can identify poorly written or spinned content:
1. Content is Not Unique – since spinned contents are just copied contents from an original article there will be remnants of the article which will be tagged as copied. To detect whether the content is copied or not is by using anti-plagiarism software application like copyscape. This software could trace patterns of words used from websites having the same type of content.
2. Content is Gibberish – since spinning software cannot discern content context or meaning there is a higher possibility of reconstructing the article into something meaningless. Poorly written contents are also just that, it has not definite meaning and sentences might sound gibberish.
3. Incorrect Grammar – the incidence of incorrect grammar in an article is high to be considered as a poorly written content. It is important that articles are written according to correct grammatical structure following the chosen language the article is written with.
4. Improper use of Keywords – another indicator for a poorly written content is the excessive use of keywords in an article whereby the article would then be reduced to something that would be confusing and meaningless. When using the keywords it is important to utilise it according to context and not just incorporate it anywhere in the article.
Conclusion on Identifying Poorly Written Content
Google have increased the importance of content development as part of a high quality search engine optimisation campaign. It is therefore necessary to know for an SEO company or an SEO consultant the characteristics of a poorly written content or spinned content in order to avoid the use of such content in their website.
Posted by: SEO Positive
Posted on: April 7, 2012 2:21 pm
With the introduction of the Google Freshness and with strengthening of such Google algorithm, website update has become necessary. Google’s purpose in incorporating the Freshness algorithm is perhaps the search engine giants’ way to make sure that every website will not remain to be just an online brochure with stagnant and boring content. Freshness aims to rank websites that have continuous content in their website, this is why a lot of websites even e-commerce websites are incorporating blog pages in their website. This is because of the fact that blogs is an avenue to incorporate fresh contents to the website. Aside from incorporating blogs in a website there are other ways for SEO companies and SEO consultants on how one could indicate that the website is within the requirements of the freshness algorithm.
Ways you Can Ensure Website Update
1. Audit Your Links – check your onsite links and verify whether your links are broken or not. This may be a tedious task but it is a must because of the fact that links are gateways for web crawlers and an invalid or broken link would mean and error in the crawling of your website.
2. Regularly Post a Blog – as mentioned every website has already incorporated blog pages in order to include fresh content to the website entirely, however if the blog page is not regularly updated the search engines may not interpret the page as containing fresh content, this is why it is important to regularly update your blog posts it may be a daily, weekly, or monthly update as long as such is followed regularly.
3. Arrange Your Blog Post Per Category – for easy crawling of your website and blog writings as well as for easy search for particular blog posts it is important that you arrange every blog post in specific categories. The categories will ensure that search engine crawlers will also easily locate your posts and easily identify the relevance of each post.
The release of the March Update in Google’s search quality highlights includes the update on Google freshness algorithm, stating that freshness will already be affecting all websites and not only the news groups where it was initially implemented. This is why it is important for every website to incorporate fresh content in order to make sure that Google will be able to tag the website as containing fresh contents and thus will “hopefully” rank the website better that those similar sites without any fresh content.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: March 27, 2012 2:17 pm
With the recent Google Algorithm update a significant number of websites were once again affected, many of those who relied on private blog networks for link building purposes were hit and even the popular private blog network “Build My Rank” has announced that they will be shutting down due to the fact that their private blog networks or blog sites were de-indexed by Google thus offering no value in terms of link juice and link building in general. It is because of this fact that websites that were utilising the BMR services and other private blog networks were affected, de-ranked or got a significant drop in their ranking in Google’s search engine results page.
Why De-index Private Blog Networks?
Private blog networks were de-indexed because of the fact that every blog in this network accepts or posts articles that are thinly written. The private blog networks accept spinned articles because the main function of a private blog network is not for content development but rather for link building. Google was able to track this practice prompting them to update their algorithm.
Discern Private Blog Networks
There are times when one cannot discern what a private blog network is, and in order to prevent posting contents in these private blog networks by unsuspecting link builders then it is important to take into consideration the following characteristics of a blog network.
1. The contents are poorly written, the contents are gibberish and are not cohesive.
2. The site design is not given much attention, usually the default template is used.
3. There are various topics, the blog does not section or categorise every topic.
4. There are too many anchor text within the article.
How To Recover From The Google Effect?
If your site is one of those that were hit by the Google algorithm change due to your use of private blog network services the following could be the steps you can do in order to regain your ranking:
1. Trace the links you built using private blog networks and use all efforts in order for you to be able to delete such links.
2. If you were already penalised by Google make every effort to incorporate quality content in your website. After doing so, you have to submit a request for reconsideration with Google.
3. Build legitimate links and never resort to any black hat or automated link building methodologies.
4. Create a legitimate blog writing campaign.
With Google already catching up with lots of black hat SEO techniques many SEO companies and SEO consultants should begin to build their links the natural, organic or the white hat way.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: February 19, 2012 12:38 pm
With the need to incorporate fresh content into every website for the Search engines to recognise your website in terms of ranking. The incorporation of fresh content is especially being looked upon by Google because of their Panda Algorithm. Google Panda focuses on the quality of content in every website on top of that Google has also introduced Google freshness algorithm which focuses on the currency or freshness of the content incorporated in every website. Since freshness of content is also a ranking factor the need to incorporate new contents in your website on a regular basis is imperative. This incorporation of new content could only be achieved by creating a blog writing page for your website. Blogging allows you to incorporate fresh and informative content in your website thus satisfying the Google freshness ranking factor requirement. To make your blog page an effective ranking factor it should be able to acquire traffic and engage your potential audience, the following are some of the steps that SEO companies and SEO consultants are taking in order to increase traffic on their blog page.
- Develop Your Content To be Informative and Shareable – when writing your blog post think of topics that would give information to your readers, make your content to be valuable enough that people would look for such content. On top of that you should make your content to be worth sharing, remember; through social media your content could easily gain traffic through a share button.
- Blog Posts Should Be SEO Savvy – although you are writing a blog post where sometimes posts are opinionated, you should not forget that your goal is to gain traffic for your website, this is why it is still important to make your posts to be SEO-friendly, that is by incorporating as much as possible your targeted keywords.
- Use Social Media Networks to Share Your Blog Posts – social media networks such as Google +, Facebook and Twitters are great tools for your to gain traffic for your blog site, share every post in your blog via these social media networks in order to possibly gain more readers and that will help in increasing your blog traffic.
Blogs are becoming an essential part of every website, may it be a website for service or e-commerce fresh contents are actually required by search engines for your website to be ranked. To boost your ranking and traffic you should also focus your SEO and Social Media Strategies to your blog posts. Just remember that every blog posts must be unique and of high quality.