Well this is not exactly your official animal battle, this pertains to what Google Panda is as compared with that of Google Penguin. Both Panda and Penguin are Google’s name for the different algorithm updates. Many SEO companies and SEO consultants have been fixated in monitoring the effects of Google Panda and Google Penguin as well as the different algorithm updates because of the dynamism of such algorithm update. Dynamism here pertains to the ever changing validity of an SEO strategy from another. To put it in perspective it means that an SEO strategy like that of a specific link building strategy may be acceptable by the search engines today but is shunned or frowned upon tomorrow. Due to the different abuses and desire to manipulate the search engines the algorithms are constantly improved to combat such.
What is Google Panda?
So we come now to the question on what is Google Panda? We have actually discussed this topic in our previous posts however in order to refresh our memories we will be discussing the overview of Google panda. Google Panda, was developed in order to combat abuses and manipulations done by those who wants to rank their site in Google through the use of content. The Following are the different content abuses or signals for Google to flag your site to be in violation of Google Panda:
1. Copied Content – Google is able to determine whether your content is copied or not, some SEO companies say that around 40% of content copied would signal the alarms for Google in order to ban or de-rank your website.
2. Content is Thin – this means that your website only contains around less than two hundred fifty words or the content does not give off any substantial information about the topic. You must understand that the goal of every search engine is to give out the best relevant results so if such content is not informative and does not give enough information about the topic at hand then it is nothing but a spam content.
What is Google Penguin?
On the other hand Google Penguin is focused more on the link building strategies being considered as web spam, the following are what Google Penguin is trying to combat:
1. Cloaked links – these are the different keywords that were turned into links but were designed in order to make such link non-apparent. This means that the link is hidden from plain sight, this is why it is important to make your links apparent.
2. Inclusion of Keyword Outside the Article – there are some websites that utilises several keywords and are linked to specific websites but are not part of the article itself, these bunch of keywords would be considered by Google as signals for spam.
3. Using Thin Content for Link Building – recently Google has de-ranked and de-indexed websites that allows posting of poor quality content for link building purposes one of which is the popular BMR. Google has gotten smart in identifying such manipulation of search engine ranking.
Google Panda and Google Penguin are two algorithms implemented by Google that compliments each other. Google has developed an algorithm that will monitor abuses or manipulations in the two cornerstones of SEO these are content and links.