If you are one of those skeptics about the power of the internet in delivering fast information worldwide then this article might not be for you. Not that we are discouraging you from reading on but rather we would want you to read through this article and learn a thing or two. Many SEO companies and SEO consultants have added in their list of offered services a service called online reputation management. Many would ask what is online reputation management? Well basically this is a service which involves processes such as managing a company or a persons’ social media account. No we do not downplay the technology quotient of such companies or persons requiring such service, you may be thinking that they might not have enough knowledge in technology in order for them to properly manage their social media account. Management of social media account is just one part of online reputation management.
Areas of Online Reputation Management
Aside from managing the social media account of a person or a company, online reputation management is also focused on providing the following:
1. Conducting Press Release for the Company or Person.
2. Respond to clients or comments made via the social media platform.
3. Increase positive reviews on different review sites.
4. Plan out How to Handle Social Media Crises for the company or person.
Who Needs Online Reputation Management?
Online reputation management is definitely a service applicable for everybody. However, many of those who needs such service are sometimes acquiring such service only when there were damages done to their company’s online reputation. Contrary to what people think about online reputation management, it is a service that should be acquired once your company or personality or business has gone online. The following are the different entities which we think would require online reputation management.
1. Small, Medium and Large Enterprises which brought their business online – one must understand that if a company has already taken their business online they will definitely increase their potential ROI but would also increase the risk of being given negative comments online.
2. Celebrities – celebrities have a high social media following and obviously due to their busy schedule they cannot regularly reply in their social media platform of choice, most of the time delayed response in social media is as good as no response at all, so it would be best to leave it to someone who can monitor comments in their social media platform of choice.
3. Political Personalities – political personalities like the members of the parliament who have created their online presence are the same with that of celebrities where they have the potential to get lots of social media follows, less time to manage their accounts but would require to regularly respond. However, the difference is that they are compelled to reply since they are answerable to their constituents.
4. Other Professionals with High Social Media Following – a high social media following would be tantamount to your popularity, so every professional with such high social media followers also needs online reputation management since whatever they post in their status or in their social media account would be publicly seen by his or her followers, to make sure that their online reputation is kept properly professionals offering online reputation management must be acquired.
Conclusion on Online Reputation Management
So do you need online reputation management? The general rule of thumb is that it depends on your purpose for opening an account in a social media platform, usually, social media accounts created for personal use and allows interactions only for family members and close relatives do not require any online reputation management. For those who utilises social media for business and to interact with a lot of people such as clients, fans and constituents then online reputation management is for you.