Whatever industry you’re in it is impossible not to notice the influx of blogs appearing throughout the internet, but many online business operators have still chosen to ignore the SEO potential of well-constructed blogs. Any text that can be optimised to be indexed, categorised and graded by Google is a significant part of SEO and as such, search experts should be aware of the marketing power this avenue holds, and use it to its full potential.
However, it is not enough simply to set up a blog, and rest on your laurels. For your efforts to be worthwhile, it is important to follow a number of good practices.
1. Adapt your tone accordingly. Take the opportunity to be a little less formal with your audience. People appreciate being spoken to, rather than at, so it is just as important to entertain as inform here, just be careful not to fall into the trap so many do of using this channel as an excuse to become sloppy. Too many blogs across the web see a slip in standards, and when communicating directly with your consumer base, complacency should never be an option.
2. Plan your topics. It can be difficult to find a subject that caters for both your existing and potential customers, but having a strategy in place for your blogs can help make them more interesting (and more importantly, link-worthy). It can be useful to base your posts around recent industry news, so checking Google news for any striking stories can prove to be a great starting point.
3. Strike the right balance between selling and entertaining. Educating and engaging users without the hard sell is a much more effective approach for your blog. And if you update your blog as regularly as you should you won’t need to pitch your products with each post.
4. Don’t be afraid to include your keywords. Many SEO professionals go to great lengths to calculate the optimum number of search terms for their content and meta data but fail to put the same approach into practice within their blogs. As mentioned earlier, search engines still categorise and rank blogs, so be sure to make sure yours is picked up by Google to give your SEO campaign the best chance of succeeding.
5. Perhaps most importantly of all, be active! A static blog which does not get contributed to is little but a waste of time and effort so make sure you allocate time to make regular posts, as this will not only see you ranked higher but allow you to gain more control over your reputation.