In this tutorial we’re going to create a red ball from scratch adding light and shadows to give it the illusion of being 3d. This is a basic tutorial helping you get to know a few tools in photoshop a bit better and learning how shadows and light are the most important thing in creating a realistic drawing in anything.
1) First of all draw a perfect circle using the eliipsis tool, give yourself enough room on the canvas for the shadow we’re going to be adding in a minute.
2) Add a gradient overlay style to the circle we just created. I kept the blend mode normal changed the opacity to 34% and the gradient from white to transparent. Change the style to radial and the angle to 90 degrees. Next change the scale to 75% and you’ve created the illusion of a light shining directly down onto the ball.
3) Next lets add some shadow underneath the ball so it looks like its sitting on something. Create a new layer underneath the ball. Draw an oval the same width of the ball and a third of the height. Fill it with black and choose Gaussian blur. For radius slide it up to about 18 pixels and you should have a shadow forming. Play around with the opacity until it looks the right sort of shade, mine was about 34%. Duplicate the layer and transform it to about half the size so it’s darker near the base of the ball.
4) Next lets create the shadow at the bottom of the ball, this will give it depth and realism. Add a new layer above the circle and creat a clipping mask. Grab a soft brush with black selected and change the opacity down to about 30%. Carefully stroke along the bottom of the ball making it darker near the bottom gradually getting lighter further up the ball.
5) There you have it a realistic looking ball created in under 15 minutes!