Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 30, 2012 12:13 pm
Many SEO companies and SEO Consultants have been talking about the new algorithm update by Google. Dubbed as Google Penguin, it targets websites that have been using web spam strategies in order to increase their rankings in the different search engines. According to Google, Penguin will detect and de-rank websites that are utilising such web spamming techniques. One of the highlights in Google’s Penguin algorithm update is the use of contents that are meaningless or gibberish, or those that are considered as poorly written as well as spinned content or articles. Many SEO companies and SEO consultants have discussed through forums the effects of such poor content and how to qualify or define what poor content means. However, that is not only the focus of Google’s Penguin algorithm, it also focuses on different link building strategies that are considered to be of low quality and are just used to manipulate the search engines.
Link Building Strategies Against Penguin
As what was stated above there are several link building strategies that are going to be targeted by the Google Penguin algorithm and these are such strategies:
1. Spam Comments – commenting on blog posts tend to create a backlink to your website, however, because of the viability of this strategy many have resorted to creating comments on automated mode. Automated comments however produce irrelevant and gibberish comments those that do not pertain to the topic at hand. Most of these types of comments utilises keywords in their names rather than the actual name of the person commenting.
2. Paid Links – during the latest algorithm updates of Google, paid links have already been regarded as a spamming technique. Paid links are considered as a web spam technique because of the fact that Google sees it as a strategy to manipulate page ranking instead of making the link as a “vote” to the website.
3. Bad Neighborhood links – these types of links are created by way of creating links from low quality sites especially those websites that are considered to be spammy and are known to be containing malwares.
4. Blog Networks – Google has now considered blog networks to be a link scheme strategy that is used to manipulate website rankings in the search engine. This is because of the fact that blog networks utilises contents that do not really give any considerable information, if any the contents are just gibberish, because of the fact that the contents are spinned from or taken from an original content. Since poorly written content is being targeted by the Google algorithm an incidental consequence to that is or course the de-ranking of the blog networks thus making their links to be of no value.
With the latest algorithm update from Google there is only one thing that every SEO Companies and SEO consultants can do and that is to create quality content and build quality links. It is important to always remember that every search engine’s goal is to return relevant results to its users therefore quality is essential not only in your link building strategies but most of all in the content of your website not only for the search engines but most of all for the visitors of your site looking for relevant information based on their keyword search.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 29, 2012 2:34 pm
Many clients who are well informed about the inner workings of search engine optimisation as well as those who are not really well versed with what SEO is, has the tendency to end the SEO Contract with an SEO Company and SEO Consultant after reaching their desired goal or after having their site rank in the first page of Google or any particular search engine of their choice. What they do not understand is that SEO is a continuous process which requires monitoring and maintenance right after reaching the target goal.
Why is there a need for SEO Maintenance and Monitoring?
Reaching the first page of Google or a specific ranking in the search engine results page does not mean that you will be retained at that specific positing. Rankings in the search engine are dynamic and it constantly changes thus the need to maintain search engine optimisation processes if not to improve them.
Benefits of SEO Maintenance and Monitoring
Since search engine results are dynamic and after establishing the reason why SEO maintenance is necessary, the following are the benefits that your site could get from search engine optimisation maintenance and monitoring:
1. Site Becomes Algorithm Update Proof –implementing constant monitoring and maintenance of your website and integrating a constant watch on different news about algorithm changes your target website could will be able to weather the algorithm change which means the site might not be de-ranked by search engines.
2. Maintain Your Rankings – as we have stated search engine results page is dynamic, this is because there are hundreds if not thousands of websites trying to rank for your chosen keyword this is why it is important to make sure that you retain your ranking by constantly applying fresh high quality content and high quality links to your website.
3. Protect Against Negative SEO – recently, forums have been burning up with the topic on Negative SEO and there are several case studies that shows the possibility of implementing negative SEO. Negative SEO is done by integrating black hat techniques like low quality contents and links to a target website for purposes of having that site to be de-ranked and banned by the search engines. Early detection of Negative SEO attacks to your website is the current solution to this problem since search engines have not explicitly revealed whether their algorithms can detect Negative SEO against a website or not.
SEO maintenance is not for the benefit of the SEO company or SEO consultant to earn more money from clients rather it is a method in order to protect your website from losing its rankings which you have invested on in order to attain such ranking.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 28, 2012 3:04 pm
As everybody knows, one of the main source of traffic going to a specific site is through the search engines. Search engines such as Google ranks websites according to how well the site is optimised and according to the keywords used. Optimisation of the website refers to the different strategies in the included in Search Engine Optimisation. To rank first in a search engine results page for a particular keyword with high traffic would mean that you will be increasing your number of potential leads and conversions, in short your potential clients or customers.
Google Panda and Article Writing
Ever since Google Panda and its succeeding updates like the Google Penguin were rolled out a lot of websites containing poor content have been hit and were de-ranked by Google. This did not exempt popular websites like those selling popular brands and with strong online presence. This is because of the fact that it was found out that their SEO campaign included the use of poorly written content and some have resorted to using duplicate contents. So whether your site is large or small, popular or not, search engines do not give any special preferences in terms of ranking. The only way for your site to be on the top of the search engine results page ranking is if your website is properly optimised, thus the need for a white hat search engine optimisation campaign. Since one of the main reasons why websites were de-ranked was due to the use of poorly written content or duplicate contents, the role of article writing in SEO has increased.
Article Writing as a Site Ranking Savior
Along with the de-ranking of different websites some websites also increased in their ranking and this was because of the fact that they have a well-structured white hat SEO strategy as well as their content are actually imparting information and are well-written. In developing your websites’ content you will require a skilled article writer, one that can provide articles that do impart information and are written in correct grammar. In order to save your website from being banned or de-ranked you have to delete posts that were copied and replace it with original and well-written articles or content. To save your site from being de-ranked you also have to provide fresh articles or content in your website thus the need for blogs and most of all you have to make sure that your contents are relevant to your websites’ overall content theme.
Conclusion on the Benefits of Article Writing
Google has time and again reminded SEO companies and SEO consultants that websites should contain relevant and high quality information in their content area, for it to be given a favourable ranking in their search engine results page. Thus, an SEO company or SEO consultant that his or her content and content-driven links are all unique, of high quality and relevant, otherwise Google Panda may interpret such website to be having poorly written content or duplicated contents which might cause the banning or de-ranking of your website from the search engine results page.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 27, 2012 2:00 pm
Lately the different SEO forum sites have been burning up because of the topic on Negative SEO. The question being posed now is whether or not a competitor can do harm to your websites’ ranking through the process known as negative SEO. In a nutshell the process of negative SEO involves several black hat techniques that are known to be penalised by Google or any search engines where such techniques are applied a competitor website.
Why is Negative SEO Dangerous?
Negative search engine optimisation is very dangerous because it is a deliberate act of incorporating black hat strategies into a competitor website, the danger actually resides in the victims of the negative SEO campaign, this is because of the fact that his or her websites’ ranking will drop from the search engine results page thus losing not only the ranking but most of all the websites’ return of investment. What is very unfortunate is that most of the time the victim will only know the negative SEO campaign after the damage has been done.
What are the Different Negative SEO Strategies
Revealing the different negative SEO strategies is not to encourage SEO companies or SEO consultants to implement such strategies to the detriment of their competitors; rather the knowledge is to be used in order to prevent your site from being attacked if not to detect and remove such black hat strategies that were incorporated in your website. The following are some of the different Negative SEO strategies commonly used:
1. Virus Infection – believe it or not a virus or Trojan which is surreptitiously injected into your website will lower the trust rating of the infected site, which means that your site will become unreliable, your site will most likely be reported as an unreliable website.
2. Use of Duplicate Content – when Google Panda rolled out many sites was de-ranked due to the fact that duplicate contents were used. One negative SEO strategy is to utilise your content and post it on a website and try to have that website be indexed first by the search engine before the victims’ site. This way Google and the search engines in general will interpret the victim’s site as the duplicate site thus the de-ranking.
3. Revising the Robot.txt – some unscrupulous people has the skill to access your robot.txt file and incorporate elements that will block Google and other search engines to crawl your website. This is why it is important to secure the location of your website files and make sure that your websites’ security systems are all up and running smoothly.
Attacking the rankings of a website through negative SEO the question remains, how can the search engines separate Negative SEO attacks in terms of penalty? It is not the fault of the website owner but his or her website is being penalised for a search engine optimisation strategy that he or she did not do. Early detection is up to this time the most effective strategy to save your website from any drastic loss in rankings.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 26, 2012 2:36 pm
The world of search engine optimisation is fast changing; this is because of the fact that technology, particularly internet technology, is also evolving at a rapid rate. Few years ago, search engines are only confined within the reach of internet users utilising their desktops and laptops. Today, the web have gone mobile thus the search engines are also now accessible through mobile devices. Searching through Desktop and searching through mobile devices has its differences in terms of search results for a single keyword, which means that the mobile search result may give a higher or a lower ranking for a particular website based on a certain keyword.
Why is there a difference in Search Results?
The reason why there are differences in search results is the fact that the algorithm in Mobile search has a slight variation from that of a desktop search. Therefore, there are also different approaches in terms of search engine optimisation, hence the term mobile SEO.
What are the Differences in Mobile Search with Desktop Search?
As stated above there are several differences with regards to mobile search as compared with the conventional search through desktop and laptop computers, these differences alters the result in the search engine results page of a mobile search engine as compared to that of the desktop search engine and these are because of the following:
1. Smartphones have differences in Operating System – Android OS and iOS are the most common operating system for mobile, the difference lies in the applications used to browse the internet and the search engines, for android users, the fact that there is a need to login to their android or google account means that the user will have to do the search query while logged on to Google, which means that the search engine ranking will be influenced by the users’ personalised search rather than the actual search results.
2. Local results are favoured in Mobile Search – mobile applications installed in smartphones sometimes requires the tracking of the person or smartphones’ current geographical position, once this feature is activated the search engines will return results in their search engine results page favouring sites that are within or proximate to your location.
3. Mobile Algorithm – as announced by the different search engine companies they have provided a different search engine algorithm for mobile, basically such algorithm is a combination of both the desktop algorithm with the different mobile search algorithm.
Mobile search results and its algorithm is indeed different from that of the desktop version of the search engine. It is no wonder why there are several differences in terms of search results between mobile and desktop search. This is why SEO companies and SEO consultants must also take into account the fact that Mobile SEO should be incorporated in their SEO campaign as we know it mobile is becoming the most popular technology worldwide.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 25, 2012 2:12 pm
With the recent announcement of Google regarding the update in its algorithm whereby it is increasing its ability to combat web spam there is a need for SEO companies and SEO consultants to start rethinking their article writing and link building strategies. One of the web spam strategy that was highlighted by Google, which will be hit by the updated algorithm, is the use of some websites of poorly written content or those contents that were just copied and spinned. According to Google in their latest news on the search engine algorithm update, they will be de-ranking websites that harbor contents that are poorly written, although Google have already done this through the Panda update the latest algorithm update is an improvement of the previous updates.
What is Spinned Content?
Spinned contents are that content that was reproduced by using a software which changes words with its synonyms. What most SEO agents using spinned content is to get an original content and run it through the spinning software. It utilises a predetermined set of vocabulary to which it gets its replacement words from the original. Spinning software do not have the ability to discern the context to which the word is used instead it would just replace the words according to its synonym disregarding the context.
Identifying Spinned Content
Identifying spinned content is the same as identifying a poorly written content, the need to identify such contents is imperative especially if contents are outsourced, the following are some ways on how you can identify poorly written or spinned content:
1. Content is Not Unique – since spinned contents are just copied contents from an original article there will be remnants of the article which will be tagged as copied. To detect whether the content is copied or not is by using anti-plagiarism software application like copyscape. This software could trace patterns of words used from websites having the same type of content.
2. Content is Gibberish – since spinning software cannot discern content context or meaning there is a higher possibility of reconstructing the article into something meaningless. Poorly written contents are also just that, it has not definite meaning and sentences might sound gibberish.
3. Incorrect Grammar – the incidence of incorrect grammar in an article is high to be considered as a poorly written content. It is important that articles are written according to correct grammatical structure following the chosen language the article is written with.
4. Improper use of Keywords – another indicator for a poorly written content is the excessive use of keywords in an article whereby the article would then be reduced to something that would be confusing and meaningless. When using the keywords it is important to utilise it according to context and not just incorporate it anywhere in the article.
Conclusion on Identifying Poorly Written Content
Google have increased the importance of content development as part of a high quality search engine optimisation campaign. It is therefore necessary to know for an SEO company or an SEO consultant the characteristics of a poorly written content or spinned content in order to avoid the use of such content in their website.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 25, 2012 1:25 am
Google announced through their blog that they will be rolling out a new algorithm update which will impact three percent of the total website population. This latest in the Google algorithm update is focused on targeting those websites that are benefitting from webspam, which means that search engine optimisation campaigns should also adapt to this change.
What are Considered as Web Spam?
According to Google web spam practices are those that are implemented in order to manipulate the search engine rankings. It does not really promote useful content for the users instead the contents are generated for the search engine crawlers. With Google’s advocacy or goal of giving search engine users the most relevant results based on the keywords entered, there is definitely no place for those who spam the search engine results page.
Is This the First Time for Google to Combat Web Spam?
The answer of course is no, Google have always wanted to deliver quality search engine results to search engine users thus Google have already started updating their algorithm to return quality results to the users ever since its inception. What Google has incorporated in their algorithm update is a more comprehensive way of tracking web spam, it is an augmentation or improvement to their current anti-web spam algorithm.
Google has identified the main types of web spam that this algorithm will be targeting and these are:
1. Duplicate Content – as an improvement to their Panda Algorithm, duplicate contents especially those that were spinned will now be easily detected by Google. Poorly written contents will now be dislodged from rankings.
2. Unusual link Patterns – according to Google the unusual link patterns refers to the use of keywords as links in a totally unrelated content. An example is the use of the word “financial” as a link within a content that talks about health, where the keyword is totally unrelated and used out of context within the sentence, paragraph or the entire content for that matter.
3. Link Schemes – this is not the first time that Google will be punishing link schemes their previous update was intended to do just that, however, as web spammers becomes creative in link scheming Google sees the need to update their algorithm once more.
4. Keyword Stuffing – again this will not be the first time that Google will be tracking down websites using keyword stuffing, this is an improvement to such algorithm where it will be able to detect websites that surreptitiously incorporated keywords even out of context.
The Importance of Content Writing and Content Writers
We believe that the main reason why some SEO companies and SEO consultants are resorting to spinning content as well as to duplicating content is because of the sheer fact that content development takes time, effort, education and the ability to write using the correct grammar and spelling. With the coming Google algorithm update the role of content writers, blog writers and article writers have become even more important. Delivering quality and relevant content is what Google would like to see in websites and not thinly written contents that are just copied and spinned.
Algorithm updates from Google is not new to every SEO Company and SEO consultant, steps should be taken into improve their target websites in order to ensure the survival of the website in its ranking in the search engine results page. What is being emphasised therefore is that your website should be a considered as a high quality site by having high quality content and high quality links.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 24, 2012 2:26 am
One of the strategies that many SEO Companies and SEO consultants are commonly utilising is the incorporation of sitemaps in their website. Sitemaps are created in order to help search engine crawlers discover or “be informed about” the different pages within a website. It is also a way for the website owner to alert search engines of any new pages incorporated in the website, since we know that websites nowadays are not favoured by search engines if their content are not dynamic and would just stagnate to being just an online flyer or brochure.
What are the Benefits of Sitemaps in SEO?
Sitemaps are created to gather all the links within your website, this means that it will show information about your websites’ structure in terms on how the pages or posts in your site are connected. It is known that search engines crawlers utilises links as a bridge or gateway to another page and by giving them easy access to your sites’ different pages through the links created via your websites’ sitemap, search engine crawlers will be able to gather enough information about your website and would consequently properly index your site. Abrupt termination of the crawling of a website is a cause for a lower ranking in the search engine results page and such abrupt termination may be due to the fact that links may be invalid or broken.
Leveraging Sitemap for SEO
Creating a sitemap is not enough to say that you have leveraged it enough to be worthy of being an SEO strategy. There are several processes or things for you to consider before you can finally say that you have utilised your sitemaps for SEO purposes and these are:
1. Using XML Sitemaps – there are two types of sitemaps one is an HTML version and the other is the XML sitemap version. Using XML sitemaps are the best way to go because of the fact that you can specify exact dates when your page was created, it also allows you to incorporate the webpages’ meta data an information that is useful especially when crawled by the search engine bots.
2. Proper Sitemap Submission – after creating your sitemap it is best to submit it to the different search engines such as Google and Bing, submitting will alert the search engines of any updates regarding your website thus showing the freshest content in your website to the search engines.
3. Include your XML sitemap in your robot.txt file – by appending the XML sitemap to your websites robot.txt search engine bots will easily locate your sitemap and will then use it to crawl your website pages.
Every SEO Company and SEO Consultant knows that adding a sitemap into the website design is an imperative part of every search engine optimisation campaign, therefore proper incorporation is needed in order to make sure that the sitemap itself will be visible immediately to the search engine crawlers.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 23, 2012 2:09 am
These days, through the exercise of one’s right to freedom of speech, combine it with the power of the internet and or social media, it is very easy for one’s opinion to be heard. It is also very easy for a person’s opinion, speech or idea to be praised or ridiculed. For those running their own business either offline or online, reputations could easily rise or fall, this is because of the fact that through blog writing and social media clients could express their comments regarding your products or services.
Validity of Negative Comments
Unfortunately, for a company or business with rising popularity competitors may create a negative campaign against such business. Negative campaign may be done by having people comment negatively or give negative reviews about products and services, the sad truth about it is that there is no easy way of validating such comments and further the comments may be placed in your social media account where it is viewed by your potential customers.
Proper Online Reputation Management
In order to combat the ill effects of a negative campaign against your business online, you have to make sure that you already have a strong reputation to begin with. Before other companies would launch a negative campaign against you, you have to have a solid foundation for your online reputation, thus the following will be the best practices for online reputation management:
1. Respond to Your Community – there is nothing like a good customer service, part of providing a great customer service to your clients is by making sure that you respond to their queries as soon as possible. One of the most common complaints from clients online is the fact that the company they are commenting or complaining to are not answering their calls or answering their queries. To be effective in building your online reputation management it is imperative that you respond to your clients or potential clients’ queries.
2. Be clear with your policies – if you have a website, it is a good opportunity for you to incorporate a your company policies, this way you will be able to inform your clients or potential clients beforehand on your company policies regarding your products and services.
3. Encourage Reviews – every good business deserves a good review, however, it is very important that companies should point out to them that there are such websites that would accept and publish genuine reviews from clients. It is very important therefore to encourage your clients to write a review on your website after a successful transaction.
4. Monitor your Online Reputation – as we have stated above there are some unscrupulous companies that conduct negative campaigns in order to put your company in a questionable reputation, this is why it is important that you have to conduct regular monitoring of your reputation, you can do this by searching your company name via search engines or by monitoring your social media account.
Conclusion on Online Reputation Management
Having a strong reputation from your company both offline and online ensures that you will have a continuous flow of clients. The danger is that through the internet your reputation may easily be besmirched this is why it is important to continuously build your reputation through proper customer service, transparent and honest transaction and should damage be done a reliable SEO Company or SEO consultant can help you in managing your online reputation.
Posted by: Ben Austin
Posted on: April 22, 2012 12:52 am
It is with no doubt that social media is fast becoming popular not only among users but also among online marketers particularly SEO Companies and SEO Consultants. This is because of the fact that social media is a very effective tool in order for your website to gain popularity as well as gain targeted traffic. Social media like Facebook is now used not only as an avenue to connect to friends, families and acquaintances but also to connect with potential clients.
Why Use Social Media?
It is because of the fact that social media verifies the validity of the account that there are lesser possibilities that you are talking to a bot which means you are actually promoting your business to actual users or persons. Further, social media has the ability to make a post or promotion viral, since it is easy to share information through the social media one post could reach thousands of users.
How to Effectively Use Social Media?
Creating a Fan Page or a Social media account doesn’t mean that you already have the advantage and could gain immediate traffic. In order to gain traffic from your social media page you will have to need one more ingredient and that is engagement. You need to engage your potential clients in order to have a successful social media campaign. The following are some steps on how you can effectively use social media to engage or to gain traffic:
1. Invest Time – since social media is in real time you need to invest in time, the time is used to answer the queries of those who are members of your communities, also you would need time to gather members to your social media community. Either way investing on time is essential and should not be taken for granted.
2. Set your Goal – it is very important that you make your goals for setting a social media account clear. A clear goal would help you decide on what course of actions to take and how to go about in engaging your potential clients or community members.
3. Do not Post Your Sales Pitch – you might not like this idea especially if you are trying to use social media to sell, however you have to understand that the community in social media could outright determine whether or not you are just using the account to sell. Instead your post should engage the members of your community to visit your website where your sales pitch are located, but never post any sales pitch in your status updates or profiles.
4. Keep Calm – there will be instances where members of your community will be throwing rude comments or questions, in this case you have to keep calm because a violent reaction might have dire consequences later on especially that posting violent reactions will just give a negative impression on your company.
5. Post your Community Guidelines – when building you have to indicate your guidelines, this way you will be able to show your community that despite you allow the exercise of freedom of speech you still have control over those who abuse such right in your community.
Conclusion on How To Use Social Media
Social media could be a powerful online marketing tools for SEO Companies and SEO consultants, with the changes in the algorithm of the different search engines having a different source of traffic will help in your online marketing campaign especially if you have lost your rankings in different search engines. One thing that you have to remember though is that you are building a community where members can freely interact thus maintaining rules as well as following the different guidelines as stated above will help ensure the success of your social media campaign.